Closamectin Kelso Ram Sales Press Release
Thursday 24 August 2017
CLOSAMECTIN KELSO RAM SALES
Friday 8th September 2017
5411 rams will come under the hammer on Friday 8th September when the Ram Sales will be held at Springwood Park in Kelso in the Scottish Borders ( TD5 8LS )
“ The Society is indebted to Norbrook Laboratories Ltd for their continued support for the Sales under their Closamectin banner for this unique annual happening. It will be even busier in 2017 with an increased entry of 266 rams. Together we look forward to promote the continuing strength of the UK sheep industry” said BUAS Secretary, Ron Wilson.
“The Rams will be sold in 16 Rings by 7 different Auction Companies. As last year the sheep trade is steadily improving, which augurs well for the Consignors on 8th September with exceptional quality rams from sixteen different Breeds and Crosses.”
“As in 2016 the Texel is the most numerous Breed with 1928 entries (1802) followed by the Suffolks with 1113 entries (1093). Bluefaced Leicesters are up, with 643 entries, as are Beltex with 265 (199); Charollais and Lleyn down slightly with 271 and 112 respectively, with a rise in the Crosses to 794 from 661 in 2016. Other entries are Border Leicester with 81, North Country Cheviot with 56, Blue Texels with 40, Berrichon with 37, Dutch Texels with 21, Hampshire Downs with 18, Poll Dorset with 11, Vendeen with 10, Roussin with 6 and Oxford Down with 5.”
This is the 180th Ram Sale since the first in 1836 when 120 Cheviot and Border Leicesters sold for between £3 and £4 each compared with last year’s average of over £600.00p.”
“ Once again it will be an extremely busy day for 7 Auction Companies selling 478 Lots in 16 different Rings from the 396 Consignors. “
“ The Border Union is delighted with the entry and the enthusiasm for the oldest and biggest one day sale of rams, not only in the UK, but in Europe, and plans are well in hand. There will be the usual mix of frame and tension marquees with around 170,000 sq. ft. of canvass, all Sale Rings being covered.”
“ The “export service” to Ulster provided at the Sales is once again available. Potential vendors should make sure they complete the appropriate health certification forms prior to arriving in Kelso, and potential purchasers should apply to DARD in Belfast (Tel : 02890 524404) for the correct Documentation to bring with them to the Sales. “
“ Value for money is the key to future success - with such a choice the 2017 Sales should meet everyone’s requirements "
* There are 396 consignors at the 2017 Kelso Ram Sales, who have entered a total of 478 Lots and 5411 rams.
* The Consignors come from all over the UK, with entries from the breadth and length of the country – from Devon to Orkney, from Pembroke to Lincoln and 7 Consignors from Northern Ireland.
* Buyers are even more widespread, including EU countries.
* 16 Breeds and Crosses are on offer.
* Rams are housed in 7 x 80’ wide marquees ( double Rings ) and 2 x 50' wide marquees. In total a staggering 170,000 square feet of canvass, which is equivalent to over 4 acres or 1.62 hectares.
* All selling Rings will be fully covered.
* The rams will be sold in 16 Rings consecutively by 7 different auction companies, the Sale beginning at precisely 10 a.m. with the last lots being sold at approximately 4 p.m.
* There are 35 Trade Stands selling a wide range of products and equipment.
* Over 3000 catalogues are sold and the estimated attendance is in the region of 8000 – 10000 people.
* Over the years Ram Sales Day has become not only a trading day, with nearly three million pounds changing hands in a single day plus the trade stand business, but also a social meeting place - usually at the end of harvest.
* The tarmaced road system in the Showground has eased movement of lorries and trailers.
* The first Ram Sales were held in 1838. 40 Leicesters and Cheviots changed hands in "barter system" arrangements before the first auction sale in 1838.
* Only twice in 180 years have the Ram Sales been cancelled - 2001 and 2007 because of F&M.
2016 Sales Results
Grand Total for Sale £2,937,285.00
Average Ram Price £685.48
Top Shearling Price £12,000.00
Top Lamb Price £5,400.00
Total Rams Sold 4285
Ram Sold Percentage 83.56%
Not Forward 315
Not Forward Percentage 6.14%
Not Sold 528
Not Sold Percentage 10.30%
Total Rams 5128
2018 CLOSAMECTIN KELSO RAM SALES WILL BE HELD ON FRIDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER 2018